An active philanthropic network, the Council on Foundations, founded in 1949, is a nonprofit leadership association of grantmaking foundations and corporations. It provides the opportunity, leadership, and tools needed by philanthropic organizations to expand, enhance and sustain their ability to advance the common good. The Council empowers professionals in philanthropy to meet today's toughest challenges and advances a culture of charitable giving in the U.S. and globally.
Provide the opportunity, leadership, and tools needed by philanthropic organizations to expand, enhance, and sustain their ability to advance the common good.
The Council on Foundations is a strategic leader that raises issues of shared interest, expands the thinking about our field, builds collaborative efforts, and breaks down barriers that stand in the way of effective and dynamic philanthropy.
The Council on Foundations believes:
- Philanthropy plays a critical role in strengthening civil society and building thriving communities.
- Community among colleagues, knowledge sharing, and a positive environment for philanthropy will enhance foundations’ impact.
- High professional and ethical standards, including a commitment to diversity, build public trust in philanthropy.
- Philanthropy benefits from a unifying voice empowered to advance its interests.
- Charitable giving advances the common good by contributing to an active civil society.
- Diverse forms of philanthropy and giving tools offer communities the ability to support a variety of charitable purposes.
From our founding in 1949 to 2014 and the community foundation's centennial, read the history of the Council on Foundations.