In this week's This Week at the Council, you'll find the following:
Operating foundations are private foundations that use the bulk of their income to provide charitable services or to run charitable programs of their own. They make few, if any, grants to outside organizations. To qualify as an operating foundation, specific rules, in addition to the applicable rules for private foundations, must be followed.
Below is everything on our site for private operating foundations. You can use the filtering options on the right to narrow these results.
Vikki Spruill, President and CEO, Council on Foundations:
On behalf of the Council on Foundations, I would like to thank Chairman Camp for his decades of public service to the people of Michigan and to the U.S. House of Representatives. We wish him the very best in months and years ahead. We are pleased that Chairman Camp is devoting his final months in office to fine-tuning his comprehensive tax reform proposal.
Do you know more about apps for your phone than apps for your browser? Many are unaware that apps and other add-ons are available for their browsers, are often free, and can provide unique tools to make their online experience better. So if you are a busy philanthropic professional, what apps might you want to try?
Board of Directors Official Notice
The Council on Foundations Governance Committee has nominated the following individuals to serve on the Council’s Board of Directors:
Class of 2017
In this weeks issue:
- WINGSForum 2014
- The Council and Commonfund Study Private Foundation Investments
- Don't Miss Out on Philanthropy Exchange
- President Obama Announces Climate Data Initiative
- Tweet of the Week
And more! Read the full issue now.
In this issue:
- Council Releases Summary of Camp Bill
- Federal Tax Policy News
- Treasury Solicits Input on 2014-15 Priority Guidance Plan
- IRS TE/GE Reorganization
- Other Happenings on the Hill
- State Issues
- Council to Senate: Preserve & Expand IRA Rollover
- More on the Tax Reform Act of 2014
- Property Tax Proposal in Connecticut
- California Senate Votes "No" on Political Activity Bill
- New Papers on the Future of State Charities Regulation
- Philanthropy Op-Ed
Are you new to philanthropy and unsure about the due diligence process for making a successful grant? Have you been in the field for several years, but are still unclear on the legal aspects of grantmaking or how to spot red flags in grantee financial statements? If you answered "yes" to any of the above, please consider joining us for NCG's 2014 New Grantmakers Institute.