About the Survey
The Grantmakers Salary and Benefits Survey collects compensation data for positions at grantmaking entities—community, private (family and independent), and public foundations. This year, the Council on Foundations and the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers have partnered to promote increased participation in the survey. It is in our mutual best interests to gather as much data as possible so the survey is useful and reflective of the field.
With your help, the 2013 report will provide critical information needed to determine fair compensation across multiple organizational levels. Our online platform, Benchmark Central, enables survey participants to benchmark themselves against their peers by grantmaker type, asset size, or state or region, or against a specific peer group of grantmakers they choose. Please note that the names of respondent organizations will be available through the peer selection component of Benchmark Central. However, your answers to the survey will remain confidential, and results will be reported only in the aggregate.
While the Council remains the conceptual lead on the survey instrument, data analysis and reporting will be done in partnership with our colleagues at the Foundation Center.
Only staffed foundations are eligible to participate. Please note that for part-time data, we collect information only for CEOs.
DEADLINE EXTENDED to AUGUST 23rd. Instructions for setting up an account and logging into the online survey are provided below. Note that you will be able to save your responses and return to the survey as needed before the deadline. We encourage you to participate online; however, you may use this PDF to submit your survey on paper.
Benefits for participating
- Early access to the 2013 compensation summary for your foundation type
- Free access to the online benchmarking tool (only if you complete the survey online)
- Free PDF of the 2013 Grantmakers Salary and Benefits Report
How to participate online
- Request an account by e-mailing the Council on Foundations Research Department at email@example.com. In this e-mail, please include your name, e-mail address, job title, foundation name, foundation type, and location. The subject of the e-mail should be "2013 Salary Survey Account."
- You will receive an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with your password and log-in instructions.
- Log in with your account information at https://bmc.cof.org. Please read the Introduction, Policy Statement, and Helpful Hints sections before you begin the survey.
Survey Data Collection and Dissemination Policy