Please note: The HR subcommittee of FAOG does not explicitly endorse any of these resources. No advice that may be contained within should substitute for professional legal guidance.
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world's largest association devoted to human resource management. Their mission is to serve the needs of HR professionals by providing the most essential and comprehensive resources available. Annual membership is $160.00 and a number of resources are available without membership.
- Aspen Publishers is a subsidiary of Wolters Kluwer Law & Business. They specialize in legal business publications and research.
- HR Matters E-Tips is a free service of Personnel Policy Service, Inc.
- Created by M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC, www.hrhero.com helps HR professionals find quick answers to their employment law and management questions.
- www.HRTools.com is hosted by Administaff, a professional employer organization (PEO), serving as a full-service human resources department that provides small and medium-sized businesses with administrative HR services (fee/no-fee).
- The ePolicy Institute has online resource for email, internet, and software policies and forms. (fee/no-fee)
Recruitment and Selection
Development and Training
- www.astd.org American Society for Training and Development
- Age Power: How the 21st Century Will Be Ruled By the New Old. Ken Dychtwald, PH.D. $24.95
- The Complete Guide To Performance Appraisals. Dick Grote.
- Discipline Without Punishment. Dick Grote
- The Center for Creative Leadership, Handbook of Leadership and Development. 1998. McCauley, Cynthia, et al. Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation Basics for HR Generalists – Understanding the Role of Pay in Human Resource Strategy. American Compensation Assoc. 1995. $24.95
- Employee Compensation Basics – Developing the Direct Pay Component of Total Compensation. American Compensation Assoc. 1994. $24.95
- Managing Individual Performance – An Approach to designing an Effective Performance Management System. American Compensation Assoc. 1996. $24.95
- Nonprofit Compensation and Benefits Practices. Carol L. Barbeito and Jack P. Bowman. John Wiley & Sons. $55.00
- Fundamentals of Employee Benefit Programs. Employee Benefit Research Institute. 1996. $29.95
- www.worldatwork.orgFocus on compensation, benefits, work-life effectiveness and total rewards
- www.salary.com (Market data by geographical area for hundreds of positions
- www.americanpayroll.org American Payroll Association
- www.hrbenefitsalert.com Provides the latest news and information for HR and benefits executives
- www.benefitslink.com Free site for compliance information and tools
- www.compdatajobs.com Salary survey site (fee and no-fee)
- www.ebia.com Employee Benefits Institute of America
- www.ebri.com Employee Benefit Research Institute
- www.benefitnews.com Benefit News provides the latest in trends impacting the industry. Subscribe to their weekly eNewsletter by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
- www.benefitslink.com Benefits Buzz: A ‘clipping service’ website sponsored by Benefits Link with articles from a variety of benefit news sources
- www.dol.gov/ebsa Employee Benefits Security Administration: The U.S. Department of Labor’s site provides education and assistance on pension, health, and other employee benefit topics
- www.managementhelp.org/ Free Management Library: website hosted by the Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits. The site links to resources on a variety of HR topics including the basics of benefit planning, purchasing, and administration.
Workplace Safety/Other Legal
HR Electronic Discussion List
HRNet is a subscription based email group. It provides a forum in which people with common interests may discuss various issues and share information. HRNet is open to community foundation staff and board members with primary responsibility for the administration and development of human resources policies, procedures and functions. Only community foundation members of the Council of Foundations may participate. To subscribe to HRNet, address an email to email@example.com. In the subject line, type “Join HRNet.” In the body of the e-mail message, give your full name, title, community foundation name, and provide some information about the HR activities you are responsible for and what percentage of your time is spent on HR tasks.
An employer’s association is a membership organization of small to mid-size organizations. They typically provide human resource products and services (i.e. H.R. hotlines, training services, compensation surveys) to the employer community. They have a broad base of employer membership, including manufacturing, service, hospitals, etc. Membership in an employer’s association can be a worthwhile investment for low cost access to human resources expertise.
If you want to find out whether there is an employers association in your area, visit http://www.eaahub.org.