This month, the communities affected by Hurricane Matthew are top of mind. To aid in their recovery, the Council co-hosted a special webinar with the Center for Disaster Philanthropy (CDP) on Tuesday, October 11 to inform funders on how to best direct resources. A recording of this webinar is now available on CDP's website. Additional resources are available at Basic Tips for Disaster Giving.
Looking forward, I know many, if not all of you, are busily working on your 2017 budgets. In addition to Council membership, I hope you will remember to build several Council resources and opportunities into your budget including:
- 2017 Annual Conference | Dallas, Texas | April 23-26, 2017 | Registration now open
- CCFE Fundamentals | Multiple locations and dates
- Career Pathways applications are still being accepted until 11:59 p.m. on October 31, 2016. This is a great opportunity for you, or a member of your team, to grow as a professional in the philanthropic sector, and to make philanthropy more diverse and inclusive.
- Legal Compendium | Foundation law for the non-lawyer
As part of your annual subscription, you will receive access to Overview of Community Foundation Law which is scheduled to be released later this fall
Here are some additional resources for you to consider:
Grantmakers Salary and Benefits Report: Salary Tables
- Use this great resource to help inform your hiring, retention, and budget planning. Free — a $179 value — to members. Download the Salary Tables.
Community Foundation Week | November 12-18, 2016
- Created in 1989 by former president George H.W. Bush, this week recognizes the important work of community foundations throughout America and their collaborative and innovative approach to working with the public, private, and nonprofit sector. Help raise awareness by telling your community about the work that your foundation is doing to address persistent civic and economic challenges using hashtag #CFWeek. You can also find additional resources, templates, and suggested social media posts on our website.
The Future of Community - A Webinar on the Special Issue of the Foundation Review | November 3, 2016 | 1:00 p.m.
- To delve deeper into the topics covered at our 2016 Annual Conference, we partnered with the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy on a special issue of the Foundation Review. This issue is offered to you free — download now — and this November webinar will feature a conversation with two of the contributors.
Washington Update! Post-Election Analysis | November 10, 2016 | 2:00 p.m.
- Council President and CEO Vikki Spruill and special guests will analyze the results of the 2016 election and discuss what they mean for the philanthropic sector.
Council staff are on the road nonstop this time of year to better serve you. Expect to see or hear of our National Standards, Legal, Policy, and Membership teams out and about across the country. Our goal is to represent the cutting edge work you do and advance the community philanthropy agenda across the nation. Discover where we will be by visiting Events around the Field.
From Global Goals to Local Impact
Don’t miss this free special report on how your local community philanthropy is intertwined with the global goals for sustainable development. The report also highlights how the vast scale of contributions from community foundations have advanced issues ranging from poverty to healthcare to civility to decent work and economic vitality.
Requests for Information
The Council responds to up to 70 requests for information on average a week from our members. Your membership not only provides a range of basic and technical support found online through cof.org, policy samples through National Standards at cfstandards.org, or threads of peer-to-peer discussions on the Philanthropy Exchange, but dedicated staff like me who are a phone call or email away.