This course is sold out!
January 27 | January 28 | February 3 | February 4
1:00-4:30 p.m. ET
A well-trained staff and an informed board are critical to the success of community foundations in our fast-changing world. This two-day course helps new and growing community foundation staff build the essential skills they need to balance governance and management with the broader understanding of community foundations within the philanthropic sector.
Created and led by experienced community foundation leaders, Council attorneys, and Council's lead strategist for community philanthropy, this course includes:
- Basic information on governance, resource development and donor relations;
- Updates on key legal and legislative issues;
- Information on grantmaking; and
- Review of community leadership and fiduciary responsibilities.
Originally developed in conjunction with Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy, these courses help community foundation staff, board members and volunteers master the unique aspects of the community foundation field. You'll learn about effective practices, get helpful tools and information, and have the opportunity to network with others in the field. Comprehensive and engaging, these courses are an efficient and affordable way to increase your knowledge of the field. Please note, this course is limited to Community Foundation staff and Board members only.
This virtual course will engage a range of seasoned and experienced community foundation leaders, Council attorneys, and Council's lead strategist for community philanthropy.
- Betsy Constantine, Executive Vice President, Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo
- Bryan Del Rosario, Director, Legal Resources & Senior Counsel, Council on Foundations
- Kay Fernandez Smith, Vice President, Policy and Innovation, The San Francisco Foundation
- Jen Holcomb, Director, Government Affairs, Council on Foundations
- Eric Hozempa, Executive Director, Longmont Community Foundation
- Ben McDearmon, Staff Counsel, Council on Foundations
- Judy Sjostedt Ritchie, Executive Director, Parkersburg Area Community Foundation & Regional Affiliates
- Joe Sorenson, Vice President of Affiliate Relations, Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines
- Dan Templin, Executive Director, DeKalb County Community Foundation
- Kevin van Bronkhorst, National Standards Manager, Council on Foundations
- Brad Ward, Lead Strategist, Community Philanthropy, Council on Foundations
Day One and Two: Wed & Thurs, Jan 27 & 28th
1:00-4:30 p.m. ET (each day)
- Review community foundation's history, emerging goals, unique characteristics and future trends
- Discuss governance and board responsibilities respective to their roles and goals
- Engage in a discussion on why and how donors give to community foundations
- Learn of various gift types, developing gift agreements and planned giving
Day Three and Four: Wed & Thurs, Feb 3 & 4th
1:00-4:30 p.m. ET (each day)
- Understand resource development procedures in attracting gifts
- Listen and learn from the Council legal team to comprehend all legalities from nonprofits to donor control
- Ascertain key tips and tools about stewardship, accountability and fiduciary responsibilities within your community foundations
- Discover ways to set grantmaking priorities and understand roles in community leadership
*Council events are not opportunities for solicitation of any kind, including asking for business, fund management, or grants. All types of solicitation are strictly prohibited. For more information, read our no solicitation policy.