In this second installment of the Legal and Tax Compliance for Corporate Grantmakers webinar series, participants considered an in-depth review of the rules against self-dealing, where they come from and what they involve. We analyzed a case study, a real life “corporate opportunity” fact pattern received by the Council’s legal team.
- A technical definition of “disqualified person”
- The law of self-dealing under IRC § 4941
- Payment and allocation of shared expenses
- Expenditures that provide impermissible benefits to the sponsoring company
- Expenditures that provide permissible, incidental and tenuous benefits to the sponsoring company
- “Corporate opportunity” fact pattern analysis: Corporate Foundation Could be Whistled for Self-Dealing Foul