The 2018 Winner
The 2018 Wilmer Shields Rich Award for Excellence in Communications winner is the Nusenda Credit Union Foundation. Nusenda was selected for their innovative use of videos and multimedia as a part of the Community Rewards Program. The email and advertising campaigns led to over 2.2 million digital impressions and a sizeable increase in the number of participants in the program. Additionally, the nonprofits who participated in the campaigns reported a marked increase in inquiries Nusenda is led by executive director Robin Brulé.
About the Award
The Wilmer Shields Rich Award for Excellence in Communications was created in 1984 in honor of the first executive director of the Council on Foundations, then known as the National Council on Community Foundations. During her tenure from 1957 to 1968, Rich championed public accountability by charitable foundations, urging them to effectively communicate their stewardship.
The Award spotlights foundations and corporate giving programs that have creatively and effectively used strategic communications to further their mission and goals, providing models of excellence to the field of philanthropy.
In order to nominate an organization for the Wilmer Shields Rich Award, nominators must:
- Complete the online nomination form.
- Upload a letter of endorsement from a CEO or board trustee.
- Organization must be nominated by a Council member, although Council membership is not required to win;
- All entries must include a letter of endorsement from a CEO or board trustee. Nomination packets lacking the required endorsement letter will be considered ineligible.
Benefits for Award Winners
- The Council will honor award winners in a special ceremony each year.
- The award winner will gain additional recognition through a profile on the Council's website and blog and potentially through Council-led programming.
- The Council will issue a press release, which the awardee's organization can use to announce the honor to their community, donors, and other stakeholders.