As a national voice for philanthropy, the Council works to create an environment in which philanthropy can grow and thrive, and to promote policies that allow the philanthropic sector to remain vibrant, inclusive, innovative, and effective. The Council provides leadership on behalf of the philanthropic sector to advance philanthropy as a core value, defend against legislative or regulatory efforts to weaken the sector, strengthen relationships between the philanthropic sector, government, and private business, actively engage policymakers on the importance of philanthropy and its role in our society, and serve as a conduit for innovative ideas and sector knowledge.
What public policy work does the Council do?
The Council's Public Policy team engages in a broad array of government relations and policy activities, from analyzing the impact of proposed tax code changes on our members, to engaging with federal agencies and members of Congress, to elevating policy trends within the sector. Ongoing activities include:
- Keeping our members informed about what is happening in the public policy world through Washington Snapshot .
- Educating policymakers and government officials about philanthropy and the potential impact of emerging policies or legislative proposals.
- Facilitating public-philanthropic partnerships.
- Representing the interests of our members in national policy conversations.
- Working with colleague organizations to advance the interests of philanthropy.
How can the Public Policy team help you?
Feel free to reach out to any member of the Council's Public Policy team  with any questions or concerns you may have about state, local, or national policy developments, or inquiries about the Council's policy work. The Council's Legal team  is also available to answer any questions you have about advocacy or contact with elected officials.
Resources on this:
- Advocacy & Lobbying resources from the Council 
- Key Committees (Jurisdiction over philanthropic sector) 
- Contact a member of Congress 
- Understand the roles of Congressional staff members 
- Make the most of a visit with your member of Congress 
- Understand the path of legislation 
- Local and Online Outreach Opportunities on Policy Issues 
- Template press release on tax reform. 
- Template op-ed on tax reform. 
- Template letter to elected officials on tax reform.