The Council on Foundations invited executive staff of community foundations of various size, scope, and location to glean understanding from diverse viewpoints for an exchange of ideas to Miami, FL to discuss ways we can strengthen communities across the United States and reinforce the collective effort of learning and growing together as a community foundation field.
The goal is to provide the context and space for community foundation executives to explore new ideas and solutions, designed with a new set of measures and metrics that is not asset-centric, but reflective of the competitive advantages unique to community foundations. In this session, we took a deep dive into three topics: growing critique of philanthropy, donor-advised funds, and infastructural support for community foundations. Conversations focused on a landscape analysis of the ongoing narrative about community foundations, current policies and proposed legislation that will impact your foundation, and existing infastructure groups designed to advance our field and assist in redefining measurements of success in today's work of community philanthropy.
- 8:00-8:30 a.m. — Networking Breakfast
- 8:30-8:45 a.m. — Welcome
- 8:45-9:45 a.m. — What's Trending: Telling the Community Foundation Story During Troubling Times & Executive Response: As critiques against organized philanthropy intensify, how should community foundations position their work and show their value?
- Moderated by Kathleen Enright, CEO, Council on Foundations
- Peter Panepento, Community Foundation Public Awareness Initiative
- Tony Mestres, Seattle Foundation
- Kristi Knous, Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines
- Javier Soto, CEO, Miami Foundation
- 10:00-10:40 a.m. — Why we convened this session & Reflections on previous Roundtables
- Discuss the collective aspirations, culture and identity as a field in 21st Century
- Broader input and engagement for and among community foundation field
- Sharing in our collective calling as community foundations
- 10:40-11:15 a.m. — Connecting the Field: The National Network of Community Foundation Infrastructural Groups
- Deborah Ellwood, CEO, CFLeads
- David Rosado, Director, CFInsights
- Dan Templin, Board Member CEONet
- Diana Anderson, CEO and President, Southwest Initiative Foundation and Community Foundations; National Standards Board Chair
- Robin Ferriby, Council Policy Advisor
- Russ Barratt, VP of Technology, Council on Foundations
- 11:15-11:30 a.m. — What we heard and captured | What did we miss? | How can the Council on Foundations and partners optimally and concretely help to move the field forward?
Recap, Next steps, & Closing Comments
View recordings from previous Roundtables.
The Council on Foundations would like to thank Knight Foundation for supporting this series of events.