Updated May 12, 2021
At the Council, we leverage our voice on behalf of the philanthropic sector and on issues affecting our members. We reach out to Congress, the White House, and federal agencies when necessary to ensure governmental leadership understands the priorities of philanthropy—and, when appropriate, we amplify our nonprofit and philanthropic partners.
Recent letters the Council on Foundations has signed on to:
- May 2021: Joined a coalition of nonprofit organizations urging Congressional leadership to pass the WORK NOW Act, Economic Stimulus and WORK NOW Act.
- March 2021: Joined a coalition of nonprofit organizations urging the Small Business Administration to take action to ensure nonprofits can access loans through the Paycheck Protection Program, including by making it as easy as possible for nonprofits to apply, Issues of Concern to Charitable Nonprofits Eligible for the Paycheck Protection Program.
- March 2021: Joined a coalition of nonprofit organizations applauding the American Rescue Plan's support for nonprofits and urging Congress and the Administration to quickly take action to enact further relief, Nonprofits Applaud #Relief4Charities in American Rescue Plan Act.
- February 2021: Sent a letter to Senate Finance Committee and House Ways and Means Committee leadership outlining legislative priorities to best enable the philanthropic sector to thrive amidst the COVID-19 crisis, COVID-19 Priorities for the 117th Congress.
- January 2021: Joined a group of philanthropic leaders in condemning the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6, Philanthropies Condemn Political Violence, Call on Leaders to Protect Democracy and Get Back to the People’s Business.
- December 2020: Joined the Charitable Giving Coalition in a letter urging congressional leaders to increase the $300 cap on the above-the-line charitable deduction for taxpayers who do not itemize, Charitable Giving Coalition Urges Congress to Expand and Extend the Universal Charitable
- October 2020: Joined nonprofit leaders in a letter to President Trump expressing serious concerns about an executive order he signed banning racial sensitivity training, Letter Regarding President Trump’s Executive Order, Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping.
- August 2020: Joined philanthropic leaders to urge the U.S. Department of Commerce and Census Bureau not to cut U.S. census operations short, 506 Philanthropic Leaders Say Do Not Cut the 2020 Census Short.
- July 2020: Joined the charitable nonprofit community in asking congressional leaders to ensure COVID-19 relief laws extended eligibility to nonprofit organizations, Urgent Nonprofit Policy Priorities in Reforms to CARES Act.
- July 2020: Led the charitable nonprofit community in a letter asking congressional leaders not to increase the private foundation minimum distribution rate and impose a new required minimum payout rate for donor-advised funds, National Philanthropy Organizations on Changing the Payout Requirements.
- December 2019: Joined the charitable nonprofit community in a letter asking congressional leaders to support a 1.39 precent excise tax rate, Philanthropic Organizations on Excise Tax.