Virtual Format of Legal Matters for Community Foundations!
Limited Size ensures peer interaction and direct question sessions.
Led by the Council on Foundations Legal Team, Ben McDearmon and Bryan Del Rosario, and Brad Ward, Lead Straegist of Community Philanthropy, this workshop is flexibly organized to ensure that your broad legal questions for administering funds, grants, and community foundation activities are addressed. The legal team will provide technical and practical understanding of complex rules and regulations, while Brad will deliver on the most pressing issues and topics in the community foundation field.
- Tuesday, February 9: 1:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, February 10: 1:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- Optional Session – Thursday, February 11: 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET
Throughout the workshop, sessions will be curated by
- Insight from Council's top-notch legal team that interacts with nearly 2,000 foundation leaders each year
- Trends spotted by our broader team, including National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations
- Timely, relevant take on the basics that informs day-to-day business decisions and operations
- Expertise to advance your knowledge of the organization's inner workings--from admin to governance, donor stewardship to grantmaking.
With each session, there will be time for questions and a deep exploration of the answers. This workshop is open to any board or staff member from any community foundation that is eager to dive into the legalities of our business model and unlock the truth to effective management and leadership of a community foundation.
(2 Day Virtual Series with Optional Day 3 Open Session)
Specific topics will be defined in advance of the workshop as attendees begin to submit ideas, pressing issues, and assist with the defining of sessions. This event is designed to be time sensitive and relevant to current issues. The format will be discussion-oriented, question and answer-based learning alongside peer sharing.
DAY 1: Tuesday, Feb 9th — 1:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- General Overview of new rules, regulations, and developments for CFs – Discuss latest new rules and regulations affecting community foundations.
- Topics will vary based on current events and attendee requests, but often cover topics such H.R. 3988 (universal deductions), CARES Act, Updated Charity Act, Tax Deductibility, UPMIFA and related public policy trends.
- Small Group Discussions & Deep Dives with Attorneys: Most common legal complexities facing community foundations – Assessing the most common inquiries from the field nationally, Council attorney Suzanne Friday will delve into pressing subjects and issues such as DAFs and permissble grantees, current laws and basic rules regulating DAFs, Notice 2017-73 regarding DAFs, and expenditure responisbility.
DAY 2: Wednesday, February 10 — 1:00-4:30 p.m. ET
- Trends and Challenges from the Field – Led by Council Lead Strategist for community philanthropy, Brad Ward, hear the trending narratives shaping conversations in board rooms as well as the most common challenges shared among community foundations.
- Small Group & Deep Dive with Attorneys: Most common legal complexities facing community foundations – Assessing the most common inquiries from the field nationally, Council attorney Suzanne Friday will delve into pressing subjects and issues such as scholarships, giving circles, corporate advised funds, variance power, and agency funds.
DAY 3: Thursday, February 11 (Optional) — 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET
- Anything Goes! – Issues can range from staff and administrative, technical, or general or board governance. Previous topics addressed include fund types, administration fees, corporate donors and grantmaking in economic development. Your questions will help guide this discussion.
- Happy Hour: Your Questions Answered – An open time to explore any lingering questions, discuss peer experiences with more depth, or any remaining unique challenges that were not fully explored or covered in previous sessions.
Thanks to Iowa Council of Foundations for co-hosting this virtual event with the Council on Foundations!