A well-trained staff and an informed board are critical to the success of community foundations in our fast-changing world. This two-day course helps new and experienced foundation stakeholders build the essential skills they need to balance governance and management.
Created and led by experienced leaders, this course includes:
- Updates on key legal and legislative issues;
- Information on grantmaking; and
- Review of community leadership and fiduciary responsibilities.
Developed in conjunction with Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy, these courses help community foundation staff, board members and volunteers master the unique aspects of the community foundation field. You'll learn about effective practices, get helpful tools and information, and have the opportunity to network with others in the field. Comprehensive and engaging, these courses are an efficient and affordable way to increase your knowledge of the field.
*Council events are not opportunities for solicitation of any kind, including asking for business, fund management, or grants. All types of solicitation are strictly prohibited. For more information, read our no solicitation policy.
Parkersburg Area Community Foundation & Regional Affiliates
Joe Sorenson, CAP®
Director of Affiliate Relations
Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines
- Review community foundation's history, emerging goals, unique characteristics and future trends
- Discuss governance and board responsibilities respectives to their goals and responsibilities
- Engage in a discussion on why and how donors give to community foundations
- Learn of various gift types, developing gift agreements and planned giving
- Understand resource development procedures in attracting gifts
- Listen and learn from the Council legal team to comprehend all legalities from nonprofits to donor control
- Ascertain key tips and tools about stewarship, accoutability and fiduciary responsibilities within your community foundations
- Discover ways to set grantmaking priorities and understand roles in community leadership