The alphabet soup of global regulatory acronyms – FARA, FATF, and De-Risking to name a few – can lead to confusion for grantmakers. Join us for an update and discussion for how these regulations affect global grantmakers today. Hear directly from global experts and ask your own questions to understand how these acronyms impact you and/or your grantee partners around the world.
- FARA: The Foreign Agent Registration Act remains a source of many questions for US non-profits, including foundations. Should you register with DOJ under FARA, if you are co-funding work with a non-US foundation partner? Or have a non-US member of your Board? Hear about the latest state of US legislation that could increase FARA enforcement in the future and possible legislative solutions for ensuring FARA clearly outlines who really needs to register in the future.
- FATF: The Financial Action Task Force continues to meet with nonprofits across the globe, but are they taking our input into consideration? How does this global regulatory body impact national-level legislation on issues like counter-terrorism financing and anti-money laundering legislation? Hear about developments globally and within specific countries to see how FATF impacts your ability to move grant dollars across borders.
- De-risking: When banks close bank accounts of non-profits due to concerns about risk, both global funders and their grantees are impacted, making cross-border financial transactions time-consuming and expensive. How are non-profit coalitions and institutions like the World Bank working with banks to reduce de-risking? What can you do if your grantees are struggling to receive foreign funds?
Natalie Ross, Vice President, External Relations, Council on Foundations
- Nicholas Robinson, Legal Advisor, ICNL
- Kay Guinane, Director, Charity and Security Network
- Ben Evans, Co-Founder and Senior Associate, Greenacre Group
- The Unitended "Foreign Agents" - Douglas Rutzen and Nick Robinson, ICNL
- ICNL's page on the Foreign Agent Registration Act
- Banking Nonprofit Organizations: The Way Forward - Consortium for Financial Access
- Financial Access for U.S. Nonprofits - Charity & Security Network
- Tightening the Purse Strings: What Countering Terrroism Financing Costs Gender Equality and Security - Duke Law