Members of the Philanthropy-Joining Forces Impact Pledge and the Veterans Philanthropy Exchange will gather for learning and sharing. Any funders supporting veterans and military families are encouraged to join this learning exchange.
This year’s meeting will provide a funders-only environment to explore how collective impact approaches can lead to more effective outcomes in veterans support. Briefings by senior Administration officials will be part of the program. Special outreach activities on Capitol Hill are an added feature to continue the Council’s efforts to highlight philanthropy as an important stakeholder in national veterans policymaking. New members of the Philanthropy-Joining Forces Impact Pledge will be recognized.
*Council events are not opportunities for solicitation of any kind, including asking for business, fund management, or grants. All types of solicitation are strictly prohibited. For more information, read our no solicitation policy.
Tuesday, April 12
Emcee: Don Cooke, Senior Vice President, Philanthropy, Robert R. McCormick Foundation
Guest Speaker: Duncan Niederauer, Former CEO, New York Stock Exchange
The Metrics of Success - What Do We Know Now?
Moderator: Peter Long, President & CEO, Blue Shield of California Foundation
- Phillip Carter, Senior Fellow, Counsel, and Director of the Military, Veterans, and Society Program, Center for National American Security
- Fay Hanleybrown, Veterans Initiative, Managing Director, FSG
- Lisa Newman-Wise, Manager, Social Impact, Deloitte
Conversation: Transforming Data into Collective Impact
Moderator: Kathy Cox, Senior Manager, Walmart Foundation
- James McDonough, Managing Director, Programs and Services, IVMF, Syracuse University
- Nancy Jamison, President & CEO, San Diego Grantmakers
- Michelle Lugalia-Hollon, Director, Program Initiatives, San Antonio Foundation
Report from White Oak National Collaborative
Speaker: Kathy Roth-Douquet, Executive Director, Blue Star Families
Breakout Working Sessions: National Collective Impact Goals for Funders
Small facilitated discussions lead by thought leaders and program participants.
Facilitator: Jane Whitfield, President & CEO, Whitfield Consulting Group
Day 1 Closing
Philanthropy-Joining Forces Impact Pledge Recognition Reception
- Patrick J. Murphy, Acting United States Secretary of the Army
- Lee Woodruff, Co-Founder, Bob Woodruff Foundation
Featured funders of the 2015 Philanthropy-Joining Forces Impact Pledge:
- Carolyn Weir, Philanthropic Advisor, J. Warren J. and Lois McClure Foundation
- Kyle Aines, Veteran and Military Resource Advisor, Community College of Vermont
- Bill Lockwood, Program Officer, Veterans and Military Families, The May and Stanley Smith Charitable Trust
Special Guest : Rita Shapiro, Director, National Symphony Orchestra, Kennedy Center: Veterans and the NSO Initiative
Wednesday April 13, 2016
Breakfast Briefing with Senior Federal Officials
Moderator: Stephanie Powers, Sr. Director for Policy and Partnerships
- Michael Michaud, Assistant Secretary for Veterans Employment and Training, Department of Labor
- Matt Collier, Strategic Partnerships, MyVA Task Force, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Rosye Cloud, Senior Advisor for Veteran Employment, Veterans Benefit Administration
Speaker: Admiral Michael G. Mullen, U.S. Navy (Ret.), 17th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Introduced by: Colonel David W. Sutherland, U. S. Army (Ret.), Chairman, Easter Seals Dixon Center and Chief Strategist, Easter Seals Military and Veterans Services
Tools for Veterans Funder Support: Toolkits, Technology, and Collaboration Lessons Learned
- Miguel Howe, Director, Military Service Initiative, George W. Bush Institute
- Jodi Meier, Community Manager, Council on Foundations
10:15 – 10:50 a.m.
Conversation: Lessons from Community Engagement and Collective Impact outside the veterans field
- Barbara Bartle, President, Lincoln Community Foundation and Dr. Nancy Shank, Associate Director, University of Nebraska Public Policy Center
- Ruth Ann Norton, President & CEO, Green and Healthy Homes Initiative
Conversation: Perspectives on Collaboration as the Way Forward
- Megan Andros, Program Officer, Heinz Endowment
- Stephanie Powers, Senior Director for Policy & Partnerships, Council on Foundations
Moderator: Don Cooke, Robert R, McCormick Foundation