With the departure of U.S. armed forces and the takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban, a refugee crisis is unfolding throughout the region. According to the UNHCR, since the start of this year 550,000 Afghans have been forced to flee their homes because of conflict and the numbers are growing by the day. Of particular concern are the impacts this crisis will have on Afghan women and girls.
- USA for UNHCR: Afghanistan Refugee Crisis Explained
- US State Department: Afghanistan Inquiries
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy: Tips for donors on Afghanistan’s complex humanitarian emergency
- Just Security: US Counterterrorism Measures May Block Aid to Afghans
- Council Disaster Grantmaking: Foundations can access our Disaster Grantmaking Resources to understand how to effectively respond to a disaster.
The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is the Council's recommended partner for those needing support in mobilizing a philanthropic response to disasters.